Total Pageviews

Tuesday 20 March 2012

What about Me?

In the Fall edition of The Old Schoolhouse magazine 2008 Amy Roberts www.homeschoolblogger.com/raisingarrows wrote about the ‘Me Time Myth.’ It is the idea that as Mums we need to have time away in order to be able to give. Everywhere you read, in magazines, on television, is the idea of me, me. Put me first they say and the rest will follow. The so called parenting experts will tell us that if we don’t take time out our children will suffer.

So, how true is this claim? It says in Colossions 2:8 "Beware, lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the traditions of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

Now, from a non Christian point of view, the world teaches us that we should look after our selves first. Of course a non Christian is not living in view of eternity, so the best they can do, is to make life as comfortable as necessary. On the other hand, we as Christians are not supposed to live for this world, but to look for our blessed hope, in heaven. We were called as servants for Christ, and in serving him we find joy, as we are free indeed. When we homeschool, it is going to take a lot more of our time, and we all have different family need, some having larger families, or sick children, or even may battle with illness themselves. So if we are not able to have time away, then what happens then? Do we feel resentful, or angry. I have been there, years ago, when I had 4 children, 4 and under, and my dh was away long hours. People would say, ooh, you need time to yourself you know. I began to think perhaps that was right as well. If we are not right in our attitude to our husband and children, then we are going to be resentful, if we however seek God first, then we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. I find that when we neglect God’s word we suffer. I guess it isn’t the bread of life for nothing! If we don’t eat, likewise, then we get weak.

We can be fulfilled in our calling as home educators, and we can find fulfillment. Think of the souls we are influencing, for God’s kingdom. What joy in heaven to be joined by our children! Jesus served, and humbled himself on earth. He was not born in grand surroundings, he lived in a normal home, and he served others. Oh, that we could have a serving spirit. I have a long way to go, mind you. If we take our burdens to Jesus, then he will refresh us and grant us peace and joy. The road is not always easy, and of course the world will scoff, as they cannot see our reason, they are blinded.

I would welcome any reflections, or thoughts on this. I am not being judgmental, but only seeking to encourage us all to first seek the Bible, and not be turned away. I would also say we all have times where we just need some time out. I had it recently with my youngest, as I had been dealing with teething night after night... I felt refreshed after a date with hubby. If you do not have a baby sitter, then often a walk, or just a hot bath while hubby watcheds the children helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment